This strategy helps develop student knowledge of vocabulary by allowing them to make connections to real-world or personal experience. The student will Visualize, Define and use the word in a Sentence in order to better understand what the word means.
Classroom Computer Set Up
- PowerPoint (prepare a template with a Table with four cells; saved as read-only)
- File Save location for student project
Activity ProcedureStudents will prepare a slide from their vocabulary word as follows:
- Section 1. Type the Vocabulary word
- Section 2: Type the Definition
- Section 3: Locate a photo or image that represents the vocabulary word
- Section 4: Write a complete sentence using the vocabulary word
Students will change font and add color to cells if time allows
DisplaySlides may be printed full size and posted on a word wall
Alternate ProceduresClass Booklet: All slides may be combined into one PowerPoint then printed as a "mini book" for the students to review. Print Handouts, "6 slides vertical" and Portrait Orientation. Cut out slides, leaving a little margin for stapling.
Individual Booklet: Instead of creating one slide for each word, have students create four separate slides, and print them out on one page by choosing "4 slides horizontal" and Landscape Orientation.